Parents in Thailand – in common with parents all over the world – are naturally keen to ensure that their children receive the best education available, and international schools are widely considered to be at the top of the pile as far as educational establishments in this country are concerned. If you are currently trying to decide what type of school would be most suitable for your child in Thailand and you are not sure exactly what international schools have to offer, this article should help to clarify the situation for you. Below, we examine a few of the key benefits that pupils of international schools in Thailand enjoy and why they are so important in later life.
The Key Advantages That International Schools in Thailand Have to Offer
There are a wide variety of reasons that parents who wish to give their children the best start in life choose to enrol them in international schools but those listed below are among the most important as far as most people are concerned. If you are not sure to what extent each factor will feature in the daily teaching of the schools you are evaluating, the best solution is to discuss your concerns in detail with the staff at each establishment.
- Seamless Integration with Overseas Educational Systems – Parents who may move overseas in the future, or who may be keen for their children to attend universities in the West once they have finished school in Thailand, will find the curricula offered by international schools a much better choice than those followed by local government schools. The majority of international establishments follow either USA or UK curricula, which makes it very easy for the pupils of these schools to slot into a new school in the West, should they move abroad before completing their education. Furthermore, the qualifications they work toward are internationally recognised and will allow easy entry into UK and USA universities, should this be desired. Teaching jobs in Thailand international schools normally require a high level of qualification and expertise.
- Ability to Communicate with People from Across the Globe – Whilst India and China are becoming increasingly important on the global stage, and boast sizeable populations that dwarf those of most other countries, English is still the lingua franca of the world and looks set to remain so for the foreseeable future. With this in mind, it is easy to understand the many benefits that accrue from attaining a high level of proficiency in the English language at an early age. For those children who wish to study at UK and USA universities in the future, a firm grasp of the English language is essential and will also open many doors as far as future employment and careers in Thailand are concerned. English is, of course, taught at all schools in Thailand but at international schools it is used as the language of instruction in all subjects and is delivered by native speakers, creating an environment in which students can become fluent within a relatively short space of time.
- Understanding of Western Culture – Children who attend international schools in Thailand are exposed to Western culture through both their teachers and the curricula that are followed in these educational institutions. Whilst an in-depth understanding of Western culture may not be essential for students who go on to work for Thai businesses with no overseas interests, it is undoubtedly a great asset for those who wish to work for global organisations and for local companies with overseas business connections in the future. For students who go on to study overseas, a familiarity with the culture in which they find themselves living is sure to make it easier for them to settle in, to blend in with their environment and to interact with local students.
- Modern Teaching Methods – International schools employ teaching methodologies that encourage critical thinking, concise expression of ideas and the free exchange of information between peers. These are all key skills that will facilitate continual learning throughout the lifetime of each student, ensuring they enjoy a great start to their careers and are able to take advantage of every opportunity for advancement that comes their way. In contrast, many government schools still employ rote learning techniques that do little to inspire the imagination and are unlikely to encourage students to begin exploring for themselves the subjects that they are being taught. However, the methodologies employed by teachers may vary from one international school to the next so it is important to ask as many questions as you can before deciding where to send your children and to meet with the teaching staff of each establishment you are considering if possible.
- Teaching of Morals and Ethics – A fair proportion of the international schools in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand were established by Christian institutions and still incorporate the teaching of traditional values and ethics in their curricula. This does not, of course, mean that the students attending these schools need to adopt Christian beliefs but it does mean they are encouraged to think about others in their daily lives, to consider the effects of their actions on those around them and to behave in a way that their parents are sure to appreciate. If you would like your children to attend a school that not only teaches them maths, English, the sciences and the arts, but also helps them to learn right from wrong, an international school in Thailand with a Christian background would be an excellent choice.
Whilst there are other factors to consider, such as the cost of sending your children to international school in Thailand and the location of the nearest reputable schools, it is the quality of education on offer that should be uppermost in your mind when making your final choice. Global English School in Nonthaburi is one of the very best schools in the country as far as quality of education is concerned but we strongly recommend you visit us before enrolling your child or children at our school, so you can see for yourself exactly what we have to offer.